What to do During a Power Outage
Call MMLD at 978-346-8311 to report a power outage. We have an answering service available 24/7 to take your call. Please DO NOT call 911 to report a power outage. Only call 911 about electricity if it involves a public health and safety hazard, such as lines down. You can get updates during an outage by visiting this website or our social media pages which are updated frequently during unusual or catastrophic events.
Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency (MEMA)
MMLD customers can stay informed about warnings, hazards and other kinds of important bulletins by through MEMA-recommended update sources. Every family should have multiple methods for receiving emergency alerts, including at least one with an audible alert to wake you in the middle of the night.
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
For more disaster related information or help with emergency preparedness, visit the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) website.
Prepare for Wind
- Secure items outside, such as lawn furniture and trash cans, that could be picked up by high winds and hurt someone.
- Anchor objects that would be unsafe to bring inside, such as gas grills and propane tanks.
- Trim or remove trees close enough to fall on your home. Review insurance policies.
- Protect windows with permanent storm shutters or pre-cut plywood.
Prepare for Flooding
- Clean out drains, gutters and downspouts.
- Stockpile protective materials such as plastic sheeting and sandbags if you’re in an area prone to flooding.
- Consider installing a sump pump with battery backup.
- Consider elevating the heating system, water heater, and electric panel.
Hurricane Preparedness Checklist
Check out this handy PDF from the Red Cross with tips on how to prepare before a storm, what to do during, and what to do after the storm has passed.